Friday, July 1, 2011

MATH WORK STATIONS - CHAPTER 6: Place Value

I've been busy with too many projects, but I didn't want to miss posting a little something.  Everyone has such great ideas and I just can't wait to implement some of these in my classroom.  I really like the idea for number of the day.  We always talk about the number before and the number after, but I'm loving the concept of ten less and ten more.  I use the colored plastic index card holders for buttering "popcorn" words in pocket charts and thought what a great way to show the Number of the Day!  This isn't a really good picture, but you get the idea.  I think I won't highlight the Number of the Day, just the numbers before, after, ten less, and ten more.


Here's a little game I put together, Grab Bag Teen Numbers I use colored zipper pouches purchased from Wal-mart, but colored paper bags or paper bags with a colored circle would work just as well.  Put a different amount of objects in each bag.  The student chooses a bag and records the color on the recording sheet.  Then the student counts the objects in the bag using the ten-frame chart and records the correct amount on the recording sheet.  Enjoy!



Be sure to hop on by
Oceans of First Grade Fun for more great posts!

6 comments:

  1. Dear Karen,
    I have to admit that I spent a great deal of time looking at and saving downloads from your site today. I enjoyed all your wonderful pictures and activities. I mentor teachers that have split classes and "math" so I plan to share your ideas with them. I think a great math station would be sorting/graphing and you have posted 3 differnet sorts that I've seen so far. I think showing them those sorts/graph will show them how one math station changes YET stays the same. Thanks for sharing. I'm now following you by email so I can continue to be impressed by your great ideas.
    Deborah
    http://splitmultigradeclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    I mentioned your writing sheets that are posted on your site in my recent posting on my blog. http://splitmultigradeclassroom.blogspot.com
    Thanks for sharing.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah,
    I'm so glad you found my blog helpful and are able to use the downloads. I appreciate your kind words - it made my day!!! Thanks for hopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing!! I am having trouble downloading it through docstoc though. It won't load the document for me and I have tried it several times. Any way that you could email this to me? katie.libberton@fsd145.org. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the teen grab bag activity. I think it will work great with my kindergarteners. I am having trouble downloading it from docstoc. It is saying there is an error. Would you mind emailing it to me? hludlam@horrycountyschools.net Thanks!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete