Sunday, June 19, 2011

MATH WORK STATIONS - CHAPTER 5

After many years of not formally introducing the concept of addition and subtraction till Spring and realizing the complexity of actually understanding it, I now start introducing this skill earlier.  I have noticed a significant difference in the student's ability in understanding the meaning of putting together and taking apart.  I use many hands-on activities, especially involving food.  Who wouldn't like eating the manipulatives?!

Here's a game, SPIDER LEGS, using pretzel sticks for legs.  There are different versions depending on your students' abilities.  If there is a food allergy concern, you could use pipe cleaners for legs.


Fran from Kindergarten Crayons suggested using those animal paper plates for adding and subtracting.  What a wonderful idea!  Below is a Mouse Mat with recording sheet that is similar to the plate concept.  This is a great visual for joining and decomposing numbers.  It's in black and white.  I thought it would look great copied on bright colored paper. Enjoy!


Don't forget to hop on over and visit Mrs. Saoud who's hosting Math Work Stations Chapter 5. She has posted a lot of good information and freebies.

4 comments:

  1. These are all such great ideas and I adore the spider one. Our district is really discouraging the food eating stuff and we are so worried about how to get around it. You are so clever!We saw the mouse ears idea and connected it to those plates. You know how the kinder teacher's mind works.
    Fran@kindergartencrayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen for the adorable spider mats. I will SoOoO use these next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the plates in my classroom. I got them from target and I love them however I don't have enough for the whole class to use them at the same time so you mouse mats will be perfect for me. Thank you for posting them!


    Please follow my blog at www.pocketfullofkinders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these games! I love the Spider mats and can use them when we talk about spiders in October,
    - Jan
    Please follow my blog at www.firstgradehoneybunch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete